They Invented What? (No. 26)
U.S. Pat. No. 4,455,816: Pedal operated mower.
What is claimed as new is as follows:
1. A pedal operated mower assembly comprising a tricycle frame having a front wheel mounted in a fork, a central frame mounting a pedal sprocket and a wide fork frame at the rear supporting a reel-type mower assembly, the mower assembly having spaced support plates mounted on the wide fork frame, the support plates supporting a shaft having a rear sprocket about a midpoint of the shaft for chain engagement with the pedal sprocket, separate arrays of cutter blades spaced about the shaft on opposite sides of the rear sprocket respectively, said arrays of blades being mounted upon the shaft for rotation therewith and defining a gap therebetween in which is located the rear sprocket, a drive chain connecting the pedal sprocket and the rear sprocket, the drive chain being received in said gap, and a cutter member cooperating with the cutter blades for providing mowing of the grass.
2. The invention according to claim 1 wherein the support plates further support a roller shaft on which is mounted a roller positioned rearwardly of the cutter member.
3. The invention according to claim 1 wherein a protective shield is mounted on rod means above the cutter blades on the wide fork frame, the protective shield having a radius of curvature with its radius centered proximate the radius of the shaft mounting the cutter blades.
4. The invention according to claim 1 wherein the tricycle frame includes a wide seat being mounted on the tricycle frame, and handle bars are mounted by a goose neck means extending upwardly from the front wheel fork.
5. The invention according to claim 1 wherein the support plates for the mower assembly are pivotally mounted upon the tricycle frame and the support plates are rigidly spaced apart by a shaft for the roller, by the shaft for the rear sprocket and for mounting the cutter blade, and by a spacer rod.
6. A pedal operated mower arrangement comprising a frame, steerable front wheel means mounted on the frame, a pedal driven sprocket mounted on the frame, a reel-type mower assembly including drive wheels mounted adjacent the rear of the frame, a rear sprocket centrally mounted thereon in alignment with the pedal driven sprocket and having a sprocket chain drivingly connecting the sprockets, a seat on the frame to support an operator, steering control means on the frame accessible to an operator on the seat and connected with the steerable front wheel means, and means drivingly connecting the rear sprocket to the mower assembly including the drive wheels, wherein the mower assembly includes a cutter blade shaft, with the rear sprocket centrally mounted thereon and separate arrays of mower blades mounted on the shaft on opposite sides of the sprocket respectively, said arrays defining a gap therebetween accommodating the sprocket and the sprocket chain.
7. The invention according to claim 6 wherein a rod is mounted above the mower assembly, a protective shield rigidly attached to the rod for deflecting cut material away from the operator of the pedal operated mower.
8. The invention according to claim 6 wherein said frame includes a rear fork including a pair of rear and downwardly extending rigid legs having the mower assembly mounted therebetween, said front wheel means includes a single front wheel, a front fork journalling the front wheel for rotation about a central axle and for pivotal movement about an upwardly extending axis at the front thereof, said steering control means includes handle bars connected to the front fork.