They Invented What? (No. 144)
U.S. Patent No. 6,854,374: Explosion containment net.
1. A system capable of minimizing an explosive force of an explosive-laden device, the system comprising: a net manufactured from an explosion containment material, the net having an outer periphery, a central point and a nozzle located at the central point; a gun capable of propelling the net; a first tank having a fire suppressant agent therein; a conduit extending between the first tank and the nozzle via the gun; and wherein the gun propels the net at the explosive-laden device and the fire suppressant agent is discharged out through the nozzle under control of the gun once the gun propels the net, and such that the net acts as a containment system that contains the explosive force from the explosive-laden device and the fire suppressant agent minimizes the explosive force.
2. The system as in claim 1 further comprising a second tank having a high density foam such that the conduit also extends between the second tank and the nozzle and the high density foam is also discharged once the gun propels the net and the high density foam helps contain the explosive force of the explosive-laden device.
3. The system as in claim 1 wherein the net has a plurality of pleats that are stitched together, each of the plurality of pleats radiating from proximate the central point toward the outer periphery such that each of the plurality of pleats is designed to tear apart upon the net acting to contain the explosive force from the explosive-laden device.
4. The system as in claim 1 further comprising at least one weight located about the outer periphery of the net.
5. The system as in claim 1 wherein the gun uses pneumatic force to throw the net.
6. The system as in claim 1 wherein the gun uses a firing cartridge to throw the net.
7. The system as in claim 1 wherein the fire suppressant agent is FE-36 clean agent fire extinguishant.
8. The system as in claim 1 wherein the fire suppressant agent is selected from the group consisting of: Halon 1211, Halon 1301, IG-541, HFC-227ea, HFC-2 (FE13), HCFC Blend A, Carbon Dioxide, high expansion foam, protein foam, AFFF, microbial containing foam, Carbon Tetrachloride, dry powder extinguishant, and wet chemical extinguishant.
9. The system as in claim 1 wherein the net is made from aramid.